A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Monday 12 March 2012

Setting the boundaries

No mummy I'm not going to be happy all the time
So I guess it will be no surprise to most mummies and daddies out there that now my wee man has turned 1 things in the behaviour department are starting to change rather drastically. My cousin over at Counys in France captures it rather brilliantly! The thing is it is only starting for me, hubby and The boss. Yes that is what we refer to him as now because my son is trying his best to rule the roost and he is doing a very good job of it! Technically we have always been setting the boundaries I guess but rather subconsciously, now I am consciously thinking, "How do I handle this?" I guess the most difficult thing is figuring out what is okay cute baby stuff and what is just not acceptable...or as hubby says it's all unacceptable because most of it he knows he should not be doing. You know he tries to be cute about it, he looks at you first, checking that you are watching, then smiles, I say no and he does it anyway. 

On a serious note I honestly believe it is important to start setting the boundaries now as I am terribly afraid of what I will end up with as he grows older. It's not just about what boundaries to set either but how to set them! He has quickly learnt now to cry whenever he does not get something he wants or even if he does not get it quick enough. He is slowly starting to reach out for things as we are out and about and I am envisioning future supermarket shopping days and they don't look pleasant. Yesterday we were out for lunch and he was one of those children I used to look at before I was a mum when I used to say to myself I will make sure my child never behaves like "that" and there he was...behaving like "that". 

I am starting slowly with patience as the first step towards setting boundaries. BUT seriously I don't want to have to read a book about this SO....When do you say no? and How do you say no?


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you soon learn to NEVER say "my child will never do that", because he most probably will!

    Didn't you study Child psychology at uni?!! If you will allow yourself one book to read, and I promise you it's worth it. Toddler taming by Dr Christoper Green is the best, funniest and most simple and down to earth one.

    And by the way, the secret is only say NO if it's really dangerous, distraction is what you need to do instead.
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only child psychology but also have had training in several different behavioural strategies!!! Ahh well must have gone in one ear and out the other...ooops.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Michelle. Save saying no for when it's really important. You def gotta pick your battles and then customize the strategy to fit the situation. There's no 1 rule fits all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...