A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Monday 7 June 2010

Shanghai Baby by Wei Hui

This is going to be admittedly rather short and sweet...

So I admittedly borrowed this book only because it had a shroud of controversy by being publicly banned in China. I mean I like to think I believe in breaking barriers so want to show my support for something that does. If you were to borrow a book only on it's advertisements this would be the one. It does have a heavy sexual content, which accounts for it being publicly burned, but nothing that would shock dare I say a 'Westerner'. The story line itself I felt had potential but it all felt rather shallow, like a trashy novel, leaving no real impression. I really wanted it tell me something but in the end maybe I was asking too much of it. So no it won't make it on the book list.

Controversial but rather disappointing.

A review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...