A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Sunday 2 May 2010

The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany

So it is not often that I ask my peeps on facebook to recommend me some books...actually the response was a bit dismal but at the same time it proved very effective as I got some interesting recommendations. That is books I had not yet read from authors I did not know. I loved the idea of heading into a new realm of literature that I had not experienced before. So I toddled along to the library in eager anticipation of finding my recommendations. Of course not only did I find the two books recommended to me but I also found a few more that sparked my interest. The challenge now of course is to read them all before they are due. So the reading list is as follows:

  1. The Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany
  2. My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk
  3. Children of the Revolution by Dinaw Mengestu
  4. Shanghai Baby by Wei Hui
So it only took like a week and I quickly made my way through the Yacoubian Building. I don't know what it is about finding out after reading a book that it has also been made into film but I think it has something to do with the fact that now I am blogging I am actually reading up a bit more about the books I am reading. Honestly not something that I usually do as reading for me is purely a personal enjoyment and bad reviews don't usually sway me if I have decided to read something.

A book about a myriad of lives in Egypt it in no way ever disappoints. An eye opener on the many different facets of Egyptian life, it's culture, it's religion and it's politics. It is full of sadness and also of simple joys which to me is a pretty good description of life. I don't know if it make sense to others when I say this but Al Aswany speaks the language of the people in this novel which draws you in and really makes you feel a part of the character's lives. It's depth is in its simplicity.

Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...