A mum and a wife and sometimes just me


Thursday 18 March 2010

Purple Hibiscus By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

So it took me all of 24 hours to read this book! What can I say other than I really enjoyed it! The story drew me in and I was so disappointed when it came to an end. Never mind her great writing style and how easy it is to identify with the characters that they become a real family in your head, it's a damn good read. There are so many facets and dynamics to this story from the family to religion to the politics of a country. They interweave so well to become a part of each other.

It is the story of a family in Nigeria in the grips of a father who is a religious fanatic. But that grip loosens as the children leave to spend time with their Aunt Ifeoma. It is also the story of a country breaking down in the midst of military coup.

It is a very emotional story, there is love, fear, admiration, respect, so much that not only was the story speaking to me but I started speaking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...